Mountain town in the junction of river Úpa and Jánský brook. It originated in 16th century as gold-diggers village. In the 18th century the mining finished.
The big development of town was adherent with textile production and mining. In the neighbourhood of town square occur several Baroque and classical houses. The other interesting building is late Baroque church of St. Jan Nepomucký from the year 1777. Today is the town a recreation centre.